Genres: Suspense, Thriller
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife's head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media--as well as Amy's fiercely doting parents--the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he's definitely bitter--but is he really a killer?
As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn't do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?
Gone Girl is one hell of a ride. While it’s not my usual genre, it’s a book that’s been going around the booksophere for a really long time. It’s one of those majorly hyped books that you feel like you have to read, just to see if it’s worth it. I was lucky enough not to know anything about the book beforehand, other than the fact that Nick is a cockmonkey and that there are twists. The reason I picked it up when I did, is because the movie is out, and I didn’t want to get stuck in a situation with those people – you know, the ones who see the movie but don’t read the book, and end up spoiling everything. I’ve managed to beat them and read it before anyone had the chance to spoil me. Ha, eat that, suckers.
The story in itself is a rather simple one – or is it? Boy meets girl. Boy dates girl. Boy marries girl. Boy and girl become one of those dysfunctional couples where neither one is truly happy, but they stay together anyway. Then one day, girl disappears. And all the signs point to boy, whom everyone believes killed his wife. Basically, boy is fucked.
Without giving too much away, I’d say the perfect tag line for the book would be “Welcome to Gone Girl, where everyone is an asshole.” I think that about sums up the book. The book had a bit of a slow start, and I didn’t really get into it until about 30% in. I probably would’ve DNFed it if it weren’t for the fact that I was curious about these “twists” that were bound to blow me away. But then the first twist happened – and even though I called that twist from the very get-go, I still got hooked. Because I may had gotten the basics right, but I still needed to know the hows, the whys, the wheres, and the what-the-fuck-dudes.
I started reading one morning at 30% and I only put the book down for toilet and food breaks. I just had to read one more chapter and one more diary entry, and then before I knew it (well, not really – it’s a pretty long book) I’d finished the other 70% in the course of about seven hours. I’d say that’s a day well spent. It was massively entertaining and a complete mindfuck of a rollercoaster, but it’s definitely worth a read.
Nick was the main thing that bothered me. I thought he was a giant asshat and you could not get around him, because he was one of the two main narrators. You were always in his head, and his head was filled with asshat things, and I wanted to sock him one. Or two. Maybe three. He was by far the biggest asshat of the book. View Spoiler »Yes, even a bigger asshat than Amy, even though he’s a raging psychopath. « Hide Spoiler
I was also a bit disappointed with the ending. When the whole book was filled with action and suspense, I thought the ending was rather tame. View Spoiler »Seriously, they’re just going to spend the rest of their lives like that? That’s one of the worst endings ever. With the both of them being so completely dysfunctional and Amy being a psycho bitch, I was expecting at least one of them to die, preferably the both of them in some sort of epic finale of destruction. That would’ve been perfect for me. Not this atrocity where they have a baby together. Egh. « Hide Spoiler
All in all, though, I’m really glad I picked this book up. I understand that it’s not for everyone – seriously, these guys are assholes – but I found that, once I struggled through the beginning, it really picked up after that. It’s good and wild and insane. Brace your brain cells.