I was tagged by the scrumptious Jolien @ The Fictional Reader for the Sunshine Blogger Award! The rules for the award are thus: you answer the eleven questions given to you by the one who tagged you, then you come up with eleven questions of your own and tag a bunch of people to answer them. I love this, because it gives us the chance to get to know each other a bit better. So let’s put on our sunglasses and get right to it!
What’s your favorite debut novel of the past few years?
You know, I don’t really pay attention to whether a book is a debut novel or not, but I’ll have a look especially for you, Jolien. This year, I really liked:
- The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
- Beyond the Red by Ava Jae
- Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall
- Ivory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
Which character do you identify with most?
I don’t think there are a lot of characters I really identify with. I really did recognise a lot of myself in Norah from Under Rose-Tainted Skies, and I like to think I’m just as sane as Luna Lovegood.
Have you ever read a book and wished you could ask for a refund for said book?
Oh my god, so many. Pretty much all of the books I’ve ever had to read for school, which seriously discouraged me. I just took a look at my Goodreads ratings and see that I have given 104 books a one-star rating — luckily, I didn’t pay for all of them. A few examples from 2016 are Confessions of a Shopaholic, Eleanor & Park, and The Knife of Never Letting Go.
Name 5 of your favorite characters.
These are just a few — I’ve come across many awesome characters in my time.
- Fred & George Weasley (yes, I’m counting them as one) from Harry Potter. They will always be my favourites.
- Sirius Black from Harry Potter. I have many, many feels about this man.
- Lex from Croak. She is just so badass and made me laugh.
- Carswell Thorne from The Lunar Chronicles. Because you can’t write sexy without Thorne. (It made sense in my head.)
- Mark Watney from The Martian. If you’re going to put one guy on Mars, it should be Mark Watney.
Are you a mood reader, or a TBR/list reader?
Oh, I’m definitely a mood reader. If there’s a book that I have to read, I instantly feel less inclined to love it. I don’t know, I guess I’m just a rebel like that. Sometimes I can decide in advance what to read next, but most of the time I’ll just scroll through my shelf and pick whatever tickles my fancy at the time.
How did your love for reading start?
With Twilight. I don’t remember what got me to pick it up because I used to hate reading, but that book opened so many different doors and worlds for me.
What is your favorite bookish memory?
Every time I reread Harry Potter, I feel a little warm and fuzzy inside. I’m also kind of fond of the time I wrote a review for The Things We Keep and the publisher liked it so much, they asked me to record it as a video. Since the review is about my grandparents, it means a lot to me.
Which fictional world would you want to live in?
Deh, Hogwarts. I would love to sneak off to the kitchens with the Weasley twins and some fellow Hufflepuffs. But I would love to see Rivendell as well — so beautiful!
What is your favorite genre?
Well, that shit’s easy — my heart will always belong to fantasy. I’m actually in a big fantasy mood at the moment, so I’m enjoying exploring all these different new worlds and magic systems. It’s so much fun.
List your 5 favorite movies!
This is a cruel, cruel question. Again, this is merely a handful of movies I genuinely love and could watch over and over again.
- George of the Jungle
- The Wedding Date
- The Parent Trap
- Harry Potter
- Pirates of the Caribbean
Bonus mention for Austenland and all kinds of Disney movies. I CAN’T JUST PICK FIVE WHY WOULD YOU EVEN ASK ME THAT–
Sunshine or snow?
Snow on a sunny day? Look, I don’t like summer. If it’s between a hot day and a cold day, I’ll always choose the cold day. Hot weather makes me feel like crap. But I do like a bit of sunshine. Still, there is something magical about snow.
I’m not sure who’s already been tagged. Nevertheless, I tag:
- Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight
- Cait @ Paper Fury
- Alessandra @ The Bookish Mind
- Tessa @ Crazy for YA
- Bee @ Quite the Novel Idea
And here are my eleven questions:
- If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Who is your favourite villain?
- Name your five best reads of 2016.
- Which five characters would you invite to a tea party?
- What is your Hogwarts house and why?
- Are you a coffee or tea person?
- Which fictional world would you like to live in?
- What was your last 5-star read?
- How is your track record for mental health reads? Any recommendations?
- What’s your favourite animal?
- What is your favourite genre?
I look forward to reading your answers!