WHOOSH there goes the rest of 2017 and what a trainwreck of a year it has been, am I right? It seems, as the world falls further into pieces, I retreat further into my books. This year, I have read more books than ever. You can find my favourites for the first half of the year here.
Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody
- this was good fun!
- a little bit The Night Circus, a little bit Darren Shan
- with illustrations that add to the eerie feeling
- freak show with a murder mystery
Everything All At Once by Katrina Leno
- like a YA version of PS I Love You
- aunt sends postmortem letters to the MC
- strong anxiety representation
- awesome nerdy references too
The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli
- both Aly and I loved the pants off of this
- MC is most famous dragon slayer
- truly despicable villain too
- dragons !!!
It Only Happens in the Movies by Holly Bourne
- Holly Bourne strikes again
- awesome take on tropes and clichés in romance
- actually uses the term “fuckboy”
- cinema setting & they make a zombie film
This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
- this book absolutely blew me away
- like a zombie novel but not a zombie novel
- fast, action-packed, awesome
- lots of things that go boom
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows & Brodi Ashton
- omg I liked a historical novel
- it was so lovely and delightful though
- made me laugh out loud several times
- puns !!!
How to Be Happy by Eva Woods
- makes me believe in chicklit again
- on positivity and living your best life
- made me smile and inspired me
- utterly lovely & beautiful
Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
- loved the inclusion of the webcomic snippets
- great social anxiety & selective mutism representation
- characters are total nerds
- so great and meaningful
Honourable mentions: Dead Girls Society, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, The Little Book of Lykke, Even the Darkest Stars, When Dimple Met Rishi, The Loneliest Girl in the Universe, They Both Die At the End, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
So what do you think of my list? Did my favourites make it to your lists too?
What are some of your favourites from this year?